CALL FOR PAPERS
Contributions to ISHS Symposia should be submitted online, using the ISHS Online Submission tool.
For ISHS symposia details check out the ISHS Calendar of Events page http://www.ishs.org/calendar
The web link to the ISHS Online Submission tool for a particular symposium will be made available by the convener of the symposium. To ensure a timely publication it is essential to respect the deadlines for submission. The online tool would not accept your submission anymore after a deadline has passed.
Check the symposium details for the exact timing and deadlines; contact the convener if you have further questions.
The submission workflow consists of two sequential stages: 1. the abstract submission, followed by 2. the fulltext paper submission & review/assessment (stage 2. only present in case abstract had been accepted in stage 1.)
Running a service for submitting abstracts and reviewing papers comes at a cost to ISHS; consequently a submission charge applies which partially covers the expenses for review, infrastructure overhead, hard/software maintenance, etc. This charge is due upon submission of an abstract and equals the cost of ISHS membership.
- If you are a member in ISHS, the submission charge is waived as part of your membership benefits. Prior to initiating the submission process ensure that your address and contact details are up‐to‐date. If necessary update or renew your ISHS membership first. Check your membership here: http://www.actahort.org/members/showpdf
- If not, proceed to http://www.actahort.org/members/newmember first and pay to activate your user account prior to submitting an abstract.
Each step in the submission process will be confirmed to you by means of an email notification with further instructions or details.
It is your responsibility to ensure you receive email notifications sent to your email address. If you do not receive messages properly, check your spam folder and spam filter or add ISHS to the list of trusted senders (whitelist).
Once the abstract has been accepted for presentation [either as an oral‐ or poster presentation] you should register for the symposium and submit a fulltext for publication.
Symposium proceedings will be published as a volume in the series of Acta Horticulturae.
International Society for Horticultural Science – Société Internationale de la Science Horticole
ISHS Secretariat – PO Box 500 – 3001 Leuven 1 – Belgium
phone : (+32) 16 22 94 27 — fax : (+32) 16 22 94 50 — e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org – www.ishs.org – www.actahort.org
1. Authors: Abstract Submission
A link to the ISHS Online Submission page for the symposium you want to submit to should be available in the symposium website or in the ISHS Calendar of Events at http://www.ishs.org/calendar
When prompted to login – sign in with your ISHS membership account details to arrive in the first screen:
1. Abstract details
Fill out the abstract details; required information includes
- Title of your abstract.
Do not use all uppercase to enter the title of your abstract.
- Select the method of preference for your presentation: oral, poster or no preference.
The Editorial Committee reserves the right to decide on the final presentation method: oral or poster.
- Enter the abstract: no more than 300 words – try to use plain text only and keep formatting to a minimum.
Do not enter author details in the abstract field! Author details should be entered in the next stage.
- Provide relevant keywords.
Carefully consider the keywords to use ‐do not simply repeat words from the abstract title only. Comma‐separate keywords.
- If at all required you may add some additional notes or remarks to the convener.
In most cases there is no need for comments, just leave this field empty.
When ready proceed to the next step
2. Review the abstract information you entered
Review the information entered ‐ use the “Edit abstract” button to return to the previous entry form and update/change your abstract details if required. Repeat process until you are satisfied with the content.
When ready: proceed to the next step to enter the “list of authors”
3. List of Authors
- You may edit your address details in your capacity as presenting author. The address changes you enter here would exclusively be used in relation to this particular submission. The changes you make here do not affect your ISHS membership account. This is to allow using a specific address in relation to a particular paper, e.g. in view of a funding agency requirement etc.
- You may add as many co‐authors as required – confirm entry by proceeding to “next step”:
Fields marked with * are required.
- In order to accommodate long address entries there are two extra address lines which are optional (leave those empty if not required, do not duplicate the first address line in the optional address lines).
Double check the address detail: in particular make sure the email address of co‐authors is valid because this will be critical further down the submission/review process.
To prevent confusion it is advised that you inform each co‐author prior to submitting the abstract.
To view/manage the list of authors at any time use the ‘list of authors’ button.
Options to manage the author list include (for each author entry in the list):
- Remove a co‐author from the list
- Change address
- Change to Presenting Author
In addition the submission tool provides for an option to send email to each author as well as to change the order of the authors.
When ready proceed to the next step: Preview/Submit
4. Final preview and confirm abstract submission
The Preview/Submit page is the final step before actually submitting your abstract to the symposium.
Ensure that all information is correct. At this stage you may still return to the previous pages and correct/update any details.
If you are ready to complete the submission and submit the abstract just tick the confirmation box and hit the “submit abstract to convener” button to confirm the submission of the abstract.
Be aware that after completing the submission you won’t be able to change/update the abstract anymore.
A confirmation of receipt will be sent to your email address in due course. Depending on the web server load at a particular time it may take up to one hour for the confirmation message to arrive.
The confirmation of receipt is not a proof of acceptance/rejection. See below.
Convener of the symposium will now evaluate your abstract.
Consequently a notification of acceptance/rejection of the abstract will be sent to you via e‐mail. Options include:
- Accept – your abstract has been accepted, you are invited to proceed to the next step i.e. submit your fulltext
- Reject – your abstract has not been accepted. Convener would provide you with more details on the reason for not accepting your abstract. This decision is final and closes the submission procedure. Should you want to submit another abstract, you will need to start a new submission again.
- Request you to update/change and re‐submit. Your abstract was not accepted as such but convener decided to let you revise the abstract and re‐submit a revised version of the abstract for evaluation again. This means that the submission process has not been closed and you should submit the revised version in the current submission session (a link is available in the confirmation email you received) within the regular deadline.
2. Authors: fulltext article submission
In order to submit your fulltext use the link in the notification email and sign in when prompted.
After login proceed to “edit existing articles” to access and edit your previous submission(s).
Meanwhile the status of your submission will have changed into “abstract accepted – submit fulltext”:
Use the link “Upload fulltext” to locate the fulltext article file and upload.
The description of the file field is already filled out – it is recommended to keep the suggested description as‐is.
Remarks field: in most cases this field may be left empty!
Confirm the fulltext file upload with the button ‘upload file’.
The submission of the fulltext article will be confirmed in a next screen with a link to download the file allowing you to double check the upload.
After you successfully submitted the fulltext the editor will assign your paper to a reviewer for your fulltext article to be assessed on its scientific value. You will be informed on the outcome of the process in due course. Please allow sufficient time for reviewing.
Meanwhile the status of your paper has been set to: fulltext received – await review
3. Authors: receiving reviewer feedback
Based on the outcome of the review your paper it is the editor of the symposium who will take a decision which may either be:
- In case your paper was accepted you will receive a positive confirmation and you do not need to take further action. Your paper will be prepared for publication in Acta Horticulturae.
- In case your paper was rejected it most likely did not meet the quality standards set forth by the editorial committee for publication in Acta Horticulturae. In this case you would receive more details as to why your paper was not considered for publication. The decision is final and ends the submission/review of your paper.
- In case the editor would want to receive a revised version of your article first, the editor would change the status of your article submission to ‘fulltext – changes required’. Changing the status of your paper to ‘changes required’ would be confirmed to you with an invitation to submit a new revised version of your paper again. To do so please sign in to the online article submission system using the link which you can find in the email notification, download the file with reviewer/editor comments and upload a revised version of your paper again. Upon receipt, your revised paper will be considered by the editor again. You will be kept informed on the outcome of the review.
4. Authors: Uploading a revised paper (fulltext – changes required)
As part of the review process you may receive a notification inviting you to submit a revised version of your paper. To access your submission use the link in the notification email message, sign in when prompted and use the “edit existing articles” link.
In the next screen proceed to Upload new fulltext:
Next you may both access and download the latest annotated version(s) of your submission (e.g. with reviewer comments) (1) and upload your revised paper (2) and confirm with the upload file/change status button (3)
The submission of the revised fulltext article will be confirmed in a next screen.
After you successfully submitted the revised fulltext the reviewer assigned to your paper will continue the review task. You will be informed on the outcome of the review in due course. Please allow sufficient time for reviewing.